Springtime is the perfect time to play with colour, and one of the hottest beauty trends this season is coloured eyeliner.
April’s “Work That Beauty” GLOSSYBOX featured some hot hues from POPbeauty that are the perfect tool for rookie beauty enthusiasts and expert artists alike. Sara Strand, Creator of POP, has made it her mission to help beauty lovers express their individuality through colour and makeup and have fun experimenting. She says that POP stands for that little something extra that really pulls a look together and turns up the volume: “It’s all about seeing yourself with new eyes- you can really POP when you move away from your routine and allow yourself to play and to try something new!”
Sara Strand, Creative Director, POPbeauty
We know breaking out of the tried-and-true can be intimidating, so the GLOSSY team has put together our best tips and tricks to make your journey to the bright side a little less scary.
THE RIGHT TOOL AND TECHNIQUE
- A pencil liner gives the most control to a shaky or unsure hand.
- Always apply shadow (if you are using any) first, then eyeliner, and top off with mascara.
- A thin, clean line work best for smaller eyes, while bigger lids can handle a thicker, bolder statement.
- If you’re not quite ready for the full wow-effect, here are some tricks to get you started:
- For an easy statement with little effort, simply line your lower lash-line with the POP of colour of your choice. Keep the rest of your everyday makeup routine the same.
- For a brighter but less dramatic look, line your eye with a black pencil first and then trace over the line with your coloured pencil (a jewel-tone works best).
THE RIGHT COLOUR
Use a shade that compliments and intensifies your eye colour.
Brown Eyes: Chocolate peepers shine most when highlighted with rich tones- purple, turquoise, emerald, cobalt, gold and copper are all lovely pairings.
Blue Eyes: Bring out the depth of your stunners using a liner in bronze, orange, rust, or a dark blue.
Green Eyes: Emerald or jade, your green jewels will sparkle with purple, gold or dark turquoise.
Hazel Eyes: To get the most of your naturally dynamic eye colour, use green or purple.
*Teal and navy are fabulous with any eye colour.
THE RIGHT FOCUS
Whether you’re feeling adventurous and ready to embrace a lemon-yellow cat-eye or you’re only thinking about dipping your little toe into the colour wading pool, the most important thing to remember is that using coloured eyeliner is a look in itself. It demands attention, will not be overshadowed, and does not play well with others. The key to keeping the look chic is keeping everything else minimalistic. If you’re using eyeshadow, keep it neutral. Pairing bright lips with colourful liner is likely to result in that too-made-up-teenybopper look. Aim for the “natural glow” with the rest of your makeup, and you can be sure to get your desired outcome.
ANNOUNCEMENT: We will be partying on Twitter with the stunning Sara Strand of POPbeauty . Join our Tweet-Up by sending your questions and comments to @glossybox_ca and @pop_beauty using our #GBTweetUp hashtag tomorrow at 12pm EST. 3 lucky participants will be walking away with this awesome prize pack.
See you tomorrow, GLOSSIES!